Planning Department

Development Services - Planning Department

The Planning Department facilitates community and economic development while protecting the health, safety, and general welfare of present and future residents of Archuleta County.

Colorado State Line 

The Community Plan is a vision for the future of your community, in text and maps. Planning is how we achieve that future.

The Planning Department staff

assists citizens by:

  • Implementing the approved Archuleta County Community Plan
  • Administering the Archuleta County Land Use Regulations, including zoning, subdivision, mining and floodplain regulations.
  • Providing guidance to property owners and neighbors through permitting processes.

Automated Appointment Scheduling

Click on the name of the person you wish to meet with to arrange a phone call, video meeting, or face-to-face meeting using the online scheduling assistant with Planning Department and Code Enforcement Staff. Walk-ins will not typically be accepted, so schedule a time that works for you.

(970) 264-8381
(970) 264-8341
Land Use Regulations
Zoning Regulations, Rezoning
Floodplain Development Permits
Building on Slopes/Wetlands
Property Due Diligence
Pre-Application Meetings

Justin Griffin, Planner
(970) 264-8383
Lot Consolidation
Improperly Divided Parcels
Subdivision Actions
(970) 264-8477

Nuisance, Zoning, and Building Violations

(970) 264-8387

Vacation Rental Inspections and Violations

The Planning Commission

The Planning Commission is the statutory land use planning body for the County. The Planning Commission is responsible for adopting the Community Plan, recommending changes to the Land Use Regulations, and investigating and recommending action on land use applications.

Land Use Changes

Most "development", including construction, change of use of property, mining, temporary uses, division of land under 35 acres, and any work done in a floodplain, is reviewed with a Land Use Permit.  Zoning information on your property is available on the Assessor's Online Map (Portico).  You can review the Land Use Regulations in the left tab.  Contact Planning staff early in your project to check on permit requirements.

Archuleta County Board Resolution 2018-54 provides a one-year process to legalize Improperly Divided Parcels (IDPs) under 35 acres created without Board approval since 1972. See left tab.

Archuleta County Planning Department is now accepting applications for Archuleta County Vacation Rental permits for short-term rental of homes, condos, or townhouses.  More information is available in the left tab.

You can camp in an RV (including many "TIny Homes") on your own residential property with a TEMPORARY USE PERMIT for a 120-day camping season each year.  All homes for permanent residence must meet building codes and require a building permit.  Link to the Building Dept. in the left tab.

Land Use Permits can only be approved for a Legal Lot, which is a lot, parcel or tract of land created prior to September 1, 1972, or after that date by Subdivision Review or exempted by the Board of County Commissioners.  Any division of land under 35 acres since that date must go through Subdivision Review.

Our residents and visitors value dark skies they don't enjoy in the city. All new outdoor lighting, including replacement fixtures, are required to meet Section 5.4.4 of the Archuleta County Land Use Regulations, in particular:

  • Full cut-off fixture--light cannot shine up into the sky.
  • Fully shielded fixture with opaque or translucent shielding--bulb light cannot be visible.


Citizen Access for Planning land use permits and land use regulations is now available on the Planning Proposals link on the left of this page. 

Complaint Form

The Archuleta County Land Use Regulations apply to all development of buildings, structures, and uses of land in unincorporated Archuleta County. Any complaints shall be in writing and signed by the complainant. The County shall not be obligated to investigate complaints not filed in writing.

Land Use Complaint Form (PDF)