Purchased from an Individual
- An odometer statement is required if the vehicle is newer than 10 years old. Most titles provide a place for the odometer reading.
- A title properly transferred from seller to buyer is required.
- If title is not readily available, a bill of sale and insurance (in the new owner’s name) on the new vehicle will allow purchase of a temporary permit / registration.
- If the title is not a Colorado title, a VIN Verification (DR2698) is required. A VIN verification is available from the County Clerk & Recorder's Office Monday through Friday between 8:00 A.M. to 11:00 A.M. the fee for this service is $20.00 cash or check only, due to safety concerns parking is available behind the Courthouse.
- Older Colorado titles may require a notary. If the title has a place for a notary to sign, it needs to be notarized or a Statement of Transfer (in lieu of notarization of Colorado title) needs to be filled out (DR2445).
- Notary may be required on out of state titles.
- Proof of insurance is required and must state year, make, Vin, owner's name, and expiration. Proof of insurance includes:
- Binder / letter from an insurance company on company letter
- Declaration page
- Valid insurance card
Chief Deputy Clerk & RecorderCheree Henderson
Motor Vehicle ClerkJeff Stuckwish
Motor Vheicle ClerkEleanor Lucero449 San Juan St.P.O. Box 2589Pagosa Springs, CO 81147Ph: 970-264-8350Fax: 970-264-8357
HoursMonday - Thursday7:00 am - 5:00 pm
VIN VerificationsMonday through Thursday(By Appointment Only)7:00 am - 5:00 pm
Colorado Department of Revenue
Public # 303-205-5608