Purchased from a Dealer
The following paperwork is required for vehicle registration for a vehicle purchased from a dealer:
- Application for title - Form DR2395
- Colorado registration and plates from your old vehicle (if you wish to transfer)
- Joint Tenancy / Tenancy in Common (yes or no)
- Manufacturer's statement of origin or title properly assigned
- Proof of insurance
- Secure and verifiable identification (driver’s license is acceptable)
- Security agreement, odometer statement, VIN inspection, and dealer's bill of sale (if applicable)
- Standard sales tax receipt
When purchasing a vehicle that is being financed or leased from a dealer, the dealer generally forwards the required paperwork to our office. If there is not a lien on the vehicle, the dealer may send the paperwork directly to the individual rather than to the county. Please check with the title clerk at the dealership to find out where the paperwork will be mailed.
After paperwork from the dealer is processed, we will send a postcard indicating that you may visit the Clerk and Recording Office to register the vehicle. The card will not show the amount due.
If the paperwork is not correct, you will receive a letter stating what is still needed for registration purposes.
Proof of Insurance
Proof of insurance must state year, make, VIN number, owner’s name, and expiration date. Proof of insurance includes:
- Binder / letter from an insurance company on company letter
- Declaration page
- Valid insurance card
If you have questions or would like more information, contact the County Clerk’s Office at (970) 264-8350.
Chief Deputy County Clerk & Recorder
449 San Juan St.
P.O. Box 2589
Pagosa Springs, CO 81147
Ph: (970) 264-8350
Fx: (970) 264-8357
HoursMonday - Friday8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Monday through Friday
(By Appointment Only)
8:00 am - 11:00 am
Colorado Department of Revenue
Public # 303-205-5608