Sex Offender Registration
Colorado Sex Offender Website (Archuleta County)
Sex Offender Registry: "Megan's Law" Disclaimer
- Pursuant to 16-22-112(2), Colorado Revised Statutes, a local law enforcement agency is authorized to post on its website, the Sex Offender registration of a person from its registration list.
- The Colorado Sex Offender Registry includes only those persons who have been required by law to register and who are in compliance with the sex offender registration laws. Persons should not rely solely on the Sex Offender Registry as a safeguard against perpetrators of sexual assault in their communities. The crime for which a person is convicted may not accurately reflect the level of risk.
- Archuleta County Sheriff's Office has not considered or assessed the specific risk that any convicted sex offender displayed on this web site will commit; or any other offense or the nature of any future crimes that may be committed.
- Only information on registered sex offenders allowed to be disclosed under Colorado law appears on this web site. Under state law, some registered sex offenders are not subject to public disclosure, thus they are not included on this site. State law does not allow offenses other than the crimes for which the convicted sex offender is required to register to be disclosed on this web site..
- Extreme caution must be taken in the use of the information. Mistaken identification may occur when relying solely upon name, birth date and address to identify individuals.
- If you believe that any information on this site is in error, please contact Archuleta County Sheriff's Office by phone at (970)264-8541.
- Registered sex offenders are only shown for areas within Archuleta County Sheriff's Office jurisdiction.
The Archuleta County Sex Offender Registry includes only those persons who have been required by law to register and who are in compliance with the sex offender registration laws. Persons should not rely solely on the sex offender registry as a safeguard against perpetrators of sexual assault in their communities. The crime for which a person is convicted may not reflect the level of risk.
In compliance with House Bill 05-1035:
A local law enforcement agency may post on its web site sex offender registration information of a person from its registration list only if the person is:
- An adult convicted of a felony requiring the adult to register pursuant to section 16-22-103;
- An adult convicted of a second or subsequent offense of any of the following misdemeanors:
- Sexual assault as described in section 18-3-402 (1) (e), C.R.S;
- Unlawful Sexual Contact as described in section 18-3-404, C.R.S;
- Sexual Assault on a client as described in section 18-3-405.5 (2), C.R.S;
- Sexual Exploitation of a Child by possession of sexually exploitive material as described in section 18-6-403(3) (B.5), C.R.S;
- Indecent Exposure as described in section 18-7-302, C.R.S; or
- Sexual Conduct in a penal institution as described in section 18-7-701, C.R.S;
- A juvenile adjudicated for two or more offenses involving unlawful sexual behavior or for a crime of violence as defined in section 18-1.3-406, C.R.S; or
- A juvenile who is required to register pursuant to section 16-22-103 because he or she was adjudicated for an offense that would have been a felony if committed by an adult and has failed to register as required by section 16-22-103.
Not all of the sex offenders registered with the Sheriff's Office are posted on this site. The complete list of sex offenders registered with the Archuleta County Sheriff's Office that do not meet the above criteria to be posted on the web site can be viewed at the Sheriff's Office located at 449 San Juan Street, Pagosa Springs, CO, 81147.
NOTE: It is prohibited to use the information contained herein as a means to harass, endanger or in any way seek retribution on an offender through illegal channels. Any doers of such acts can be charged criminally.
The information provided through this web site is public record. It is made available for the purpose of protecting the public. The accuracy of the records cannot be guaranteed. Archuleta County Deputies verify the addresses of the registered sex offenders. Offenders may have moved and not yet notified or failed to notify law enforcement.
This registry includes only those persons convicted of certain acts of unlawful sexual behavior since July 1,1991, and who are in compliance with sex offender registration laws. Persons should not rely solely on the sex offender registration laws. Persons should not rely solely on the sex offender registry as a safeguard against perpetrators in their communities.
Facts About Sex Offenders:
Most sexual assaults are committed by someone the victim knows. A stranger does not pose the highest risk to you. 80-95% of sex offenders are known to their victims and include relatives, friends, and authority figures.
Less than 16% of sex crimes are reported to the police. Most convicted sex offenders are supervised and managed by community supervision teams consisting of Criminal Justice Officers (probation, parole, community corrections staff), polygraph examiners and treatment providers. While sex offenders cannot be cured, it is believed that some can be managed.
C.R.S 16-22-112(1) prohibits sex offender registry information to be used to inflict retribution or additional punishment upon the registrant.