In 1951 our Fair’s Founding Father, Ray Macht, called a meeting of the local Extension Agent and other cattle ranchers. Their goal was to create an effective show place for registered cattle and to provide a forum for the 4-H animals the children in the county were raising. The Archuleta County Fair that they established celebrated its Golden Anniversary in 2001.
Keeping the County Fair reflective of the county’s rich history, especially 4-H and Western Heritage, while accommodating growth by altering the Fair in size and activities.
- Who: Produced by the Archuleta County Fair Board, all volunteer, who are appointed by the County Commissioners
- What: Archuleta County Fair
- When: First weekend in August
- Where: Pagosa Springs, Colorado - County Seat of Archuleta County, at the Archuleta County Fairgrounds, east of town
Attendance & Reach
- Over 6,000 people enter our fair during the four days of nearly around-the-clock activities
- Over 100 families are involved in the 4-H program annually
- Over 700 entries are received in the open class exhibition
Families, retirees, ranchers, and trades-people all attend the fair for at least one event. The vast variety of activities enables us to draw an equally vast population for the duration of the fair.