Motor Vehicle Services
New County Citizens
- Has obtained gainful employment in the State of Colorado
- Has resided within the State of Colorado continuously for a period of 90 days
- Owns or operates a business in Colorado
- has an out-of-state title,
- was purchased outside of Colorado,
- was transferred on a Purged Bill of Sale, or
- requires a correction to the description on the title
Certified VIN Inspections
A weight slip will still be required for trucks that have been modified over 300 pounds. County staff will need to ask if the vehicle has been modified and by how many pounds to determine if the vehicle needs a certified weight slip. For vehicles modified over 300 pounds, MSOs, titles or Vintelligence information will not be accepted
You may obtain a Weight Slip at:
Archuleta County Road & Bridge
Monday through Friday 1 PM - 3 PM
Pagosa Springs, CO 81147
We accept cash, checks and credit cards in office only; no over the phone payments will be taken. A 2.7% portal fee will be collected in addition to the card charge.
If you have a lien on the vehicle, meaning that you are making payments to a lender, you will need a Security Agreement / Loan Agreement. The Security Agreement must include the following information:
- Description of the vehicle, including year, make, and VIN
- Lien holder's name and address
- Original or legible fax copy of lien document
- Total amount of payments (amount of lien)
Late Registration Fees
Colorado motor vehicle registrations have a 30-day grace period. Once your registration has expired beyond that 30 day grace period, a late fee of $25 per month is incurred up to $100.
Expired temporary permit registrations are also included in the $25 penalty. There is no grace period for permits.
Late fees for any type of trailer expired more than the 30 day grace period is one $10 flat fee.
Disabled Parking Placard
The disabled parking plate / placard application must be completed by a medical professional prior to renewing or applying for the placard and / or disabled licensed plate. Any of these medical professionals are able to verify an applicant’s disability for applying for disability parking privileges:
- Advance practice nurse
- Colorado-licensed physician
- Commissioned medical officer
- Physician’s assistant
Out-of-state doctors may fill out a Colorado form if that doctor is from New Mexico, Utah, Arizona, Nebraska, Kansas, or Oklahoma
Colorado Plate Ownership
Colorado plates remain with the customer, not the vehicle. If a vehicle is sold or traded, license plates should be removed. A pro-rata portion of the registration fees may be credited toward the same owner's renewal or new vehicle registration, provided that the registration has not expired at the time of the credit.