Vacation Rental Permits
Starting in October 2018, you may use your dwelling (single-family home, condominium, townhouse) as a short-term rental less than 30 days at a time, with an Archuleta County Vacation Rental permit (Administrative Conditional Use Permit). In July 2018, the Archuleta County Board of County Commissioners adopted Section 5.5.6 Vacation Rentals in the Archuleta County Land Use Regulations (click on side bar) for short-term rental of any legal dwelling in the county.
Call to schedule a required Pre-Application Conference before completing a Vacation Rental Permit application, 970.264.1390 (after 9am Mountain Time, M-F).
* Fact Sheet - Vacation Rentals
Applications will include:
1. Local Owner/Representative
2. Site Sketch
3. OWTS permit if on septic system
4. Proof of registration for loding and sales tax.
5. Notification of Owners Association (POA/HOA)
6. Calendar year renewal.
Performance standards include:
1. A legal dwelling may be used as a short-term rental with a Vacation Rental Permit. Short-term rental of other structures such as a guest house, yurt, RV or tent require a Commercial Lodging permit.
2. Occupancy: No more than 2 overnight guests per bedroom, plus up to 2 other guests.
3. Ads for Vacation Rentals must include their Land Use Permit number (i.e. VR18-001).
4. Neighbors will be notified after approval.
5. Notice shall be provided to renters of relevant County regulations.
6. Refuse shall be properly managed.
The annual (calendar year) application fee will be $400, which is being pro-rated for applications received in the 4th Quarter of 2018.
* PLPOA Short-term Rental Notifications Page
For more information, contact Archuleta County Development Services--Planning Department, 970.264.1390, or email Planning@archuletacounty.org.